Award Program Details
Up to 5 Harrington UK Rare Disease scholars are chosen each year. The award includes:
- £100,000 guaranteed, opportunity to qualify for up to £500,000
- Drug development expertise and project management support
- Expert business, commercialization, and clinical development advice
- Regulatory assistance
- IP review and advice
- Assistance identifying and securing additional financial support based on project needs
The Harrington Discovery Institute and its Therapeutics Development team will work closely with the awardee and their affiliated institution to maximize the clinical and commercial potential of the selected project.
What We Fund
The Harrington UK Rare Disease Scholar award selection committee seeks breakthrough discoveries defined by innovation, creativity and potential for clinical impact, including:
- Novel approaches to treat rare diseases (European definition of a rare disease should be applied. Ultra-rare diseases will also be considered)
- Potential to be developed into a commercial program
- Strong intellectual property (IP) or protection strategy
- May be a small molecule, biologic, or other therapeutic modality
- Diagnostics or devices only acceptable as part of a therapeutic development project
To be eligible for the award, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an MD or PhD (or equivalent)
- Hold a faculty position at an accredited academic medical center, university or research institution in the United Kingdom, and conduct the majority of his/her research at that institution. Senior post-docs will also be considered.
- A project may have only a single Principal Investigator (PI), who is responsible for project oversight and financial management. The PI may engage collaborators, core labs or commercial CROs to execute any portion of the project
- Past recipients of Harrington awards may submit new and distinct proposals, but may not seek additional support for previously funded projects
Late submissions will not be accepted for any reason, other than issues with the Harrington Discovery Institute’s submission system. Proposals received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Any questions should be directed to Info@FundforCures.org.uk.