Free Stroke Screenings in May
Are You at Risk for Stroke?
One American dies from stroke every four minutes. A simple screening can provide peace of mind and keep you healthy.
Every year over 800 individuals participate in our free stroke screenings. Get a free stroke risk assessment in May. Check back in spring of 2017 for an updated list of screening locations, dates and times.
If you think someone is having a stroke, the best way to get treatment quickly is to call 9-1-1.
Did you know?
- Stroke kills almost 130,000 Americans each year – that’s one out of every 20 deaths.
- On average, one American dies from stroke every four minutes.
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the U.S. have a stroke.
- About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes.
- About 185,000 strokes – nearly one of four – are in people who have had a previous stroke.
- About 87 percent of all strokes are ischemic strokes, when blood flow to the brain is blocked.
- Hemorrhagic strokes, which account for 13 percent of all strokes, occur when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures – causing bleeding in or around the brain.
- Stroke costs the U.S. an estimated $34 billion each year. This total includes the cost of health care services, medications to treat stroke and missed days of work.
- Stroke is a leading cause of serious long-term disability.