Harrington Scholar-Innovator Award
Harrington Discovery Institute is committed to providing Scholar-Innovator awardees with a full level of support, including:
- Up to $700,000 over two years ($100,000 guaranteed)
- Additional funding according to the needs of specific projects
- Project management support through our Innovation Support Center.
- Consulting services from highly experienced drug development personnel
- Business and commercialization advice
- Clinical development advice
- Regulatory assistance
- IP review and advice
- Assistance identifying and securing additional financial support based on project needs
Eligibility Criteria for Applicants
Harrington Discovery Institute requires that all applicants meet the following criteria:
- Hold an MD or MD/PhD from an accredited institution
- Hold a faculty position at an accredited academic medical center, university or research institution in the U.S. and conduct the majority of his/her research activities at that institution
- A project may have only a single Principal Investigator (PI) who will be responsible for project oversight and financial management. The PI may engage collaborators, core labs, or commercial CROs to execute any fraction of the project.
- Past recipients of the Harrington Scholar-Innovator Awards may submit new and distinct proposals but may not seek additional support for previously funded projects
Letter of Intent Deadline
The deadline for receipt of the Letter of Intent for the Harrington Scholar-Innovator award is Friday, May 1, 2015 at 5 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time.
Harrington Scholar-Innovators will be selected by a two-stage process:
- Letter of Intent – to be submitted by May 1, 2015
- Those invited will submit a full application - due on August 3, 2015.
Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Late submissions will be accepted only if the delay is due to an issue with Harrington Discovery Institute’s submission system.
Submission will be completed online at HarringtonDiscovery.SmartSimple.com.
Please submit LOI packet on line at HarringtonDiscovery.SmartSimple.com.
Before applying for the Harrington Scholar-Innovator award, please review the Grant Policies carefully to ensure that your application will meet the program requirements.
- Please submit your Letter of Intent through HarringtonDiscovery.SmartSimple.com
- Click “Register Here” button and complete applicant registration and log in to your account. If you are a past applicant, click “Forgot Password” to be emailed a temporary password.
- Log into the system through HarringtonDiscovery.SmartSimple.com.
- Click “My Profile” to input or update your contact information.
- Click the “Home” button to return to the homepage, and click on the “Apply Now” button to complete and submit your Letter of Intent.
Letter of Intent Guidelines
- Biographical Sketch in the new NIH format (NOT-OD-15-032) for the Principal Investigator (“PI”) named on the application. (Limit no more than four (4) pages - PDF only)
- Publications should list all authors. Use 11 point font or larger.
- Follow the NIH format, but also include pending support (applications submitted or pending funding) in Section D. If there is no pending support, state “Pending Support: None”. In addition, please first list most relevant publications to this application.
- Introduction (250 words maximum): Background and critical unknowns or problems addressed by the study.
- Discovery, Target or Product (250 words maximum): Describe the discovery, molecular target, and/or envisioned product. If applicable, what is (are) the critical product development unknowns or needs (e.g. target validation, lead discovery/optimization, safety/pharmacology, efficacy, etc.).
- Innovation & Impact (250 words maximum): What is novel or innovative? How will the science or product advance clinical practice, patient outcomes? Please indicate potential clinical, medical impact, and/or commercial opportunity. If known, please state the specific embodiment or “product” (drug, biologic, diagnostic, other).
- Aims (250 words maximum): Project outline or summary.
- Key Data (optional, 1 page limit, PDF only): Upload no more than 1 (one) piece of key data that supports your proposal.
References or supplementary materials are not required.
Budget. No budget is required at this time.
The projects will be assessed based on:
- Quality of the science and the scientist
- Novelty and innovative quality of the work
- Potential for impact on human health
Comments from Review Committee
Harrington Discovery Institute is unable to provide reviewers’ comments or feedback.
Notification of Receipt
Applicants will receive an email indicating that their submission has been received. If a confirmation is not received within 10 minutes, please email hdiquestions@HarringtonDiscovery.org.
Notification of Results
All applicants will be notified of their status via email by the end of June.
Questions should be directed to hdiquestions@HarringtonDiscovery.org.