Harrington Scholar-Innovator Grant Application Process
The 2015 Harrington Scholar-Innovators will be selected by a two-stage process:
- Letter of Intent – to be submitted by May 2, 2014
- Those invited will submit a full application - due on August 1, 2014.
Before applying for the Harrington Scholar-Innovator Grant, please review the Grant Policies carefully to ensure that your application will meet the program requirements.
The deadline for receipt of the Letter of Intent for the Harrington Scholar-Innovator Grant is Friday, May 2, 2014 at 5 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Late submissions will be accepted only if the delay is due to an issue with Harrington Discovery Institute’s submission system.
Harrington Grant Program Letter of Intent Guidelines
All applicants to the Harrington Grant Program are required to complete the following:
- Applicant Contact Information Form
- Biographical Sketch in the NIH format (PHS 398/2590 Rev. 06/09) for the Principal Investigator. In addition, please first list most relevant publications to this application. The biographical sketch is not included in the 1 page limit.
- Letter of Intent (LOI): page limit - 1 page, single spaced, 0.5 inch minimum margins, standard font typeface including: Arial or Times New Roman, size 12. For more detailed instructions please refer to the Format Requirements section.
Required sections of the LOI:
- Introduction. Background and critical unknowns or problems addressed by the study.
- Discovery, Target or Product. Describe the discovery, molecular target, and/or envisioned product. If applicable, what is (are) the critical product development unknowns or needs (e.g. target validation, lead discovery/optimization, safety/pharmacology, efficacy, etc.).
- Innovation & Impact. What is novel or innovative? How will the science or product advance clinical practice, patient outcomes? Please indicate potential clinical, medical impact, and/or commercial opportunity. If known, please state the specific embodiment or “product” (drug, biologic, diagnostic, other).
- Aims. Project outline or summary.
References or supplementary materials are not required and, if included, must be included within the 1 page limit.
Budget. No budget is required at this time (see Policies, Use of Funds section, for budgetary policies and restrictions, including restrictions on indirect costs).
The Letter of Intent is intended to be brief (one page maximum). Failure to conform to type specifications and page limitation will be grounds for downgrading or rejection.
- Use Arial or Times New Roman typeface and a font size of 12 points. (While a symbol font may be used to insert Greek letters or special characters; the font size requirement still applies.)
- The letter of intent must be one page, single spaced using U.S. letter-size paper (8.5 inch x 11 inch), and must have at least .5 inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right) throughout.
Applicants must adhere to the following requirements when submitting the 2015 Scholar-Innovator Grant LOI:
- Complete applicant contact information form online at www.HarringtonDiscovery.org
- Upload Letter of Intent and the NIH bio sketch as a single PDF.
- File size should not be larger than 2MB.
- Name the file using the following convention: “LastName_FirstName_LOI.PDF”. Applicants with first or last names longer than eight letters may use the first eight letters of first and/or last name.
Submissions must be received by the Harrington Discovery Institute Program office before the deadline, Friday, May 2, 2014, 5pm Eastern Daylight Time. LOIs will not be accepted by email, fax or hard copy.
Notification of Receipt
To ensure receipt by Harrington Discovery Institute, applicants should carefully follow the file size and naming conventions as well as the submission instructions. Applicants should ensure that after they submit their application, they receive an email indicating that their submission has been received. If a confirmation is not received, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 216-983-3472 and Press 2 to leave a voicemail including contact information.
For Questions and More Information about Harrington Scholar-Innovator Application
Harrington Discovery Institute will take questions about the application process or the grant program via email from applicants at email@example.com.