The 2014 Harrington Discovery Institute Scholar-Innovators will be selected by a two-stage process:
- letter of Intent submitted by May 15, 2013;
- those invited will submit a full application due on August 2, 2013.
Before completing the application, please review the Grant Policies carefully to ensure that your application will meet the program requirements.
The deadline for receipt of Letter of intent via email is Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Eastern Daylight Time. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Late submissions will be accepted only if the delay is due to an issue with Harrington Discovery Institute’s email system.
Letter of Intent Guidelines
Applicant Contact Information
Letter of intent page limit - 1 page, single spaced, 0.5 inch minimum margins, 11 or 12 font Arial, Calibri, Verdana, Courier New, or Times New Roman. For more detailed instructions please refer to the Format Requirements section.
Biographical Sketch in the NIH format (PHS 398/2590 Rev. 06/09) for the Principal Investigator. The biographical sketch is not included in the 1 page limit.
- Introduction. Background and critical unknowns or problems addressed by the study.
- Discovery, Target or Product. Describe the discovery, molecular target, and/or envisioned product. If applicable, what is (are) the critical product development unknowns or needs (e.g. target validation, lead discovery/optimization, safety/pharmacology, efficacy, etc).
- Innovation & Impact. What is novel or innovative? How will the
science or product advance clinical practice, patient outcomes? Please indicate potential clinical indications and/or unmet needs.
- Aims. Project outline or summary.
References or supplementary materials are not required and, if included, must be included within the 1 page limit.
The Letter of intent is intended to be brief (one page maximum). Failure to conform to type specifications and page limitation will be grounds for downgrading or rejection.
- Use Arial, Calibri, Verdana, Courier New, or Times New Roman typeface and a font size of 11-12 points. (A Symbol font may be used to insert Greek letters or special characters; the font size requirement still applies.)
- Type density, including characters and spaces, must be no more than 15 characters per inch and no more than 6 lines per inch.
- The letter of intent must be one page, single spaced using U.S. letter-size paper (8.5 inch x 11 inch), and must have at least .5 inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right) throughout.
The submission should be assembled in the following order in a single PDF file:
- Applicant Contact Information
- Letter of Intent
- NIH Biographical Sketch
The Letter of intent must be submitted by email. It is recommended that the completed letter and NIH biosketch be saved as a single PDF. File size should not be larger than 2MB. Name the file using the following convention: “LastName_FirstName_LOI.PDF”. Applicants with first or last names longer than eight letters may use the first eight letters of first and/or last name.
It is preferred that the submission be compiled as a single PDF file. Name the file using the following convention: “LastName_FirstName_LOI.PDF”. Applicants with first or last names longer than eight letters may use the first eight letters of first and/or last name.
Submission should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions must be received by the Harrington Discovery Institute Program office before the deadline. Faxes will not be accepted.
Notification of Receipt
To ensure receipt by Harrington Discovery Institute, applicants should carefully follow the file size and naming conventions as well as the email submission instructions. Applicants should make sure that, immediately after they submit their application, they receive a reply indicating that their submission has been received. If a confirmation is not received immediately, please email email@example.com or call 216-983-3472 and Press 2 to leave a voicemail including contact information.
Harrington Discovery Institute will take questions about the application process or the grant program via email from applicants at firstname.lastname@example.org.