Pediatric Kidney Transplant Center
Advanced Care and Experience Benefit Pediatric Kidney Transplant Patients
When kidney problems persist, standard drug or surgical therapies may not be enough to restore and maintain function. In cases of kidney failure, specialists at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital’s Pediatric Kidney Transplant Center may recommend transplantation as the best treatment option.
At our center, specialists across many disciplines work together to save young lives and improve long-term health and quality of life. We offer combined expertise in:
- Pediatric nephrology
- Organ transplantation
- Pediatric surgery
- Medication management
- Behavioral health
- Social work
- Financial counseling
The center is part of University Hospitals Transplant Institute at UH Cleveland Medical Center. A leader in organ transplantation, UH has performed over 3,000 organ transplants on both adults and children over the past four decades.
Children in need of a kidney transplant benefit from our:
- Decades of experience
- Highly skilled team of experts
- Carefully coordinated care across all required specialties
- Intensive communication and collaboration that improves patient outcomes
Proven Record of Success in Pediatric Kidney Transplants
Our pediatric kidney transplant team has built a strong record of success. We have significant experience in providing transplants for children as young as 1 year old.
- From 2001 to 2009, 59 percent of all pediatric kidney transplants in Northeast Ohio were performed at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital.
- Approximately 80 percent of Northeast Ohio kidney transplants in children age 5 and under are performed at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital.
- From 2002 to 2009, our one- and three-year patient survival rates were 100 percent. During the same period, our one-year transplant survival rate was 100 percent, while our three-year transplant survival rate was 85 percent.