The Day Before Surgery
Essential Steps for Surgery Preparation
The day before your child’s surgery, you will get a phone call from University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children confirming the scheduled surgery time. If you have not received this call by 3 p.m. the day before the procedure, call 1-866-UH4-CARE to find out the correct time to come time.
The patient and family are asked to come at University Hospitals Prentiss Pediatric Surgery Center two hours before the child’s scheduled procedure.
Parents or legal guardians should bring these items on the day of surgery:
- Guardianship or custodial documents (if applicable)
- Photo ID for legal parent or guardian
- Health plan card and related information
- Name and contact information for all doctors the patient sees on a routine basis
- A list of any past surgeries
- A list of current meds, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements
- A list of questions about the surgery
No Food or Drink
The following Guidelines will help you know what patients may eat or drink before surgery:
8 hours before surgery – stop feeding the child all foods and any liquids you can not see through. The child may drink only clear liquids (those that you can see through) which include clear juice, broth, Pedialyte, ice and gelatin.
4 hours before surgery – stop feeding the child breast milk (if applicable)
2 hours before surgery – stop all drinking, including clear liquids. Do not allow the child to chew gum or suck on hard candy.
- Children under 12 years old are not allowed to visit in the surgery center. Please make child care plans for siblings.
- Please leave money, jewelry, and valuables at home. We are not responsible for missing items.