Parent/Guardian Access

In most cases, parents of minors and legal guardians have the ability to access the online health information of those entrusted to their care by completing the Parent/Guardian Access Form and returning it to their doctor’s office. This can improve the access to and quality of health care being provided by giving these caregivers better information about the patient.


Parents and legal guardians can set up a Parent/ Guardian Account, giving them access to view and manage a child’s online health record. This access will continue until the child turns 18 or the parent or legal guardian’s access is revoked. This type of access is available only for birth or adoptive parents and those individuals with court-appointed legal guardianship over the minor patient.

Dependent Adults

Legal guardians of dependent adults can also gain access to a Parent/Guardian Account by completing the Parent/Guardian Access Form and returning it to their doctor’s office. Once access is granted, legal guardians will have access to the dependent’s online health record so that he or she can manage the health care of that dependent. This type of access is only available for those individuals with court-appointed legal guardianship over the person.

How to Accept a Parent/Guardian Access Invitation

When you submit the Parent/Guardian Access form to gain access to a patient’s UH Personal Health Record (PHR), you will receive an email invitation from FollowMyHealth™. Follow these steps to accept the invitation and set up access to view the patient’s PHR.

How to View the Patient’s PHR

Be sure you have accepted the Parent/Guardian Access invitation, as explained above. Log in to your PHR account and click the drop-down menu next to your name and select the name of the patient to view his or her PHR account, as shown below.

Parent/Guardian Access Login

Self-Assigned Patient Access

How to Share Your Health Information with Your Spouse, Other Family Members or Caregiver

Adults can grant access to the information contained in their personal health record to other people such as spouses, caregivers or other family members. This allows the person granted access to perform simple tasks like requesting appointments and refilling prescriptions. Adult users of the personal health record can assign access – either full or view-only – to another person by clicking the My Account drop-down menu and selecting My Connections. Select the arrow next to With Family Members, Dependents, etc. Then click the Add Authorized Individual button and follow the instructions to fill out and submit the form.

Technical Support

For technical support related to your Personal Health Record:
Call: 888-670-9775 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.


If you have questions about your Personal Health Record, you may want to view our Frequently Asked Questions.