Seamless and Coordinated Care for High-Risk Pregnancies
The Barbara Peterson Ruhlman Women & Newborn Center at University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital provides exceptional and comprehensive prenatal care for women with high-risk pregnancies and their babies.
Our board-certified maternal fetal medicine (MFM) physicians offer focused care for all phases of high-risk pregnancy from conception through delivery and post-partum care.
Maternal Fetal Medicine Services
Our team offers a wide range of prenatal care services, including:
- Preconception care: Appointments with an MFM expert for patients with prior adverse pregnancy outcome, family history or medical diagnoses for recommendations to optimize pregnancy outcome
- Single consultation: Appointments with an MFM expert for high-risk pregnancies with follow-up, as needed
- Shared care: Prenatal care remains with the referring provider, with scheduled follow-up consultations and ultrasounds, as needed
- Care coordination: For either consultation or shared care patients, our fetal care patient navigator can coordinate visits with adult and pediatric specialists.
- Diabetic management: Weekly patient contact for blood sugar management and recommendations after initial MFM consultation
- Ultrasound and other tests: Prenatal diagnosis, including amniocentesis and CVS, FIRST trimester screening for aneuploidy, 3- and 4-D ultrasound, antenatal testing including BPP and fetal Doppler assessment, if indicated
- Comprehensive genetic testing: Preconception and prenatal counseling is available for families and include tests such as ethnicity-based carrier testing, maternal serum screenings, and prenatal diagnosis through chorionic villus sampling and amniocentesis.
- Fetal procedures: Specialists skilled at performing a variety of fetal procedures, including abdominal cerclage, fetal intrauterine transfusions, shunt placement and transvaginal cerclage
- Fetal heart program: Offering fetal echocardiograms when indicated and coordination of care with the Pediatric Heart Center team to ensure a seamless transition from prenatal to postnatal care.
- Inpatient transfer: Access to MFM experts for consultation 24 hours a day to arrange for inpatient transfer
- Transport services: Referring physicians and hospital have access to the maternal and neonatal transport services 24 hours a day, seven days per week. MFM phone consultations are also available during select hours.
Learn more about these and other services offered through the Ruhlman Women & Newborn Center.
Ruhlman Women & Newborn Center Welcomes Referrals
Doctors can refer a patient to one of our board-certified maternal fetal medicine specialists at UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital by calling 216-844-8545.
- For MFM Consultation: call 216-844-8545
- For OB ultrasound: call 216-844-7881
- For genetic counseling: call 216-844-3936
- For fetal echocardiogram: call 216-844-1337
Materials for Referring Physicians
The following referral forms and information materials are available for download: