Mental Health Services
Individualized Mental Health Care in a Small, Comfortable Setting
University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center Mental Health team strives to help those in need of inpatient psychiatric services achieve immediate relief from crisis, as well as an improved ability to cope with stress.
Comprehensive Care for a Successful Return to Independent Life
UH Elyria Medical Center Mental Health patients will work with their care provider to create a treatment plan tailored to their lifestyle and individual needs. Each of our team members understands the challenges of returning to daily life after a mental health crisis, and will provide patients with a care plan that includes:
- Adjustment and management of medication
- Continuing care plan for after-discharge needs
- Enhanced communication and problem-solving skills through group and family therapy
- Facilitation of return to work or school
- Restoration of a healthy balance of body, mind and spirit
UH Elyria Medical Center Mental Health also treats co-occurring disorders, such as chemical dependency with mental illness.
Compassionate Interdisciplinary Staff
The UH Elyria Medical Center Mental Health unit comprises an experienced and compassionate interdisciplinary staff, including:
- Licensed independent social workers who conduct therapy sessions (individual and group), as well as coordinate discharge plans
- Occupational therapists who provide functional and vocation training
- Psychiatrists who lead and direct the individualized care and treatment plans
- Psychiatric nurses who provide 24-hour support and education
The mental health unit at UH Elyria Medical Center consists of 12 semi-private beds staffed by experienced nurses, social workers and therapists. Under the direction of Psychiatrist Dr. Boris Royak, our unit strives to treat patients using personalized plans of care within a relaxed and therapeutic setting.
What to Expect During a Treatment Program
Because each patient has different medical and lifestyle needs, the mental health medical team at UH Elyria Medical Center creates a unique treatment plan for each person. Based on individual needs and preferences, a treatment program may include:
- Dealing with your Diagnosis group
- Family therapy, if indicated
- Group therapy
- Music therapy
- On-unit Alcoholics Anonymous sessions
- Private sessions with a psychiatrist
- Psychoeducation group
- Spirituality group
Referrals and Admissions
Patients are admitted to the mental health unit via one of the three emergency departments within UH Elyria Medical Center, or with a referral from a staff psychiatrist.
Please call the mental health unit directly at 440-329-7596 or 440-329-7877 for additional information.