Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about University Hospitals Research Credentialing

Who needs to complete the UH Research Credentialing process?

Anyone who is an employee or student of Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), employee of The MetroHealth System, employee of the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, an employee or student of Ursuline College, or are a volunteer registered through the UH Volunteer Services Office that requires access to UH Protected Health Information (PHI) for research purposes must complete this process

Please e-mail if you are not affiliated with one of the listed institutions and desire access to UH PHI.

Why is this process necessary?
Medical students are on-boarded through the Graduate Medical Education (GME) Office. Are they required to do this in addition to the GME requirements?

Yes if they are participating in research at UH. Please complete the online application.

Are individuals who do not have social security numbers able to be credentialed for research purposes?
Are individuals who are registered through the UH Volunteer Services Office able to assist with my research projects?

Yes. For example, if non-CWRU students are assisting as volunteers on your research project, they can register through the UH Volunteer Services Office first and then complete the Application for Research Staff Appointment – For UH Volunteers.

How long is my credentialing ‘active’?
What happens when my current UH IRB-approved research studies change once credentialed?

If the research projects you are involved with change once credentialed, notify the UHCRC at In the e-mail please provide your name, the updated UH IRB-approved protocol number(s) and the principal investigator(s).

After I have completed my application, how long does it take for my application to be approved?
I am already in the CREC program, does this mean I have met the UH Research Credentialing requirements?

No. The Continuing Research Education Credit (CREC) Program is the human subject protection certification program administered through Case Western Reserve University CREC Program. This program certifies researchers in the ethical practices of research with human participants. UH Research Credentialing requires researchers understand the federal laws about protecting clinical research data, specifically, protected health information (PHI) for research participants and has separate requirements for completion.

How do I access my CITI Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS) module completion report?
How should I store PHI required for my research?

UH Protected Health Information (PHI) should be stored on a secure UH approved device, preferably in a secured folder within the UH shared network drive, the S: drive. (For assistance in setting up a secured folder contact the UH Help Desk at 216-844-3327.) It is not permissible to store UH PHI on personally owned computers, un-encrypted flash drives, or on mobile devices (including laptops, iPads, smartphones, etc.).


More Information

If you have additional questions or need more information, please e-mail

Make an Appointment

Schedule your appointment with a specialist at University Hospitals.
1-866-UH4-CARE (1-866-844-2273)

More Scheduling Options

Need to Refer a Patient?

Click here for Patient Referrals

Browse Services A-Z

Maps and Directions

Click here for directions