Social Work

The social workers at University Hospitals help patients and families cope with the many challenges that can accompany illness, disability, or other life changes.

The Social Work Department provides:

  • Counseling for patients and families
    • Grief counseling
    • Caregiver support
    • Pregnancy counseling
    • Domestic violence / sexual assault
    • Mental health and behavior problems
  • Crisis intervention
  • Advocacy
  • Support groups
  • Child and adult protective services
  • Help in communicating with doctors, family and friends
  • Easing transition from hospital to home or alternate-care facility
  • Guidance with financial and insurance problems
  • Prescription assistance information
  • Substance abuse treatment referrals
  • Living will/durable power of attorney for health care information
  • Referrals for home health care, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, hospice
  • Referrals and linkage to community agencies
  • Discharge planning

Our social workers engage in teaching activities and participate in hospital and community initiatives, serving on boards and committees that strengthen services to patients and families. Expert consultation is provided to community professionals in addition to the health care team.

What is a social worker?

Social workers at University Hospitals are experienced professionals who have earned a Master’s degree and are licensed by the state of Ohio. They are knowledgeable and skilled at providing social services to patients and families, helping them increase their ability to problem-solve, deal with relationships, adjust to new situations, obtain needed resources and function at the highest level possible.

To contact a social worker:

University Hospitals social workers are available to inpatient divisions and outpatient clinics, providing services to children, adults and families. If you have an issue you would like to discuss, a receptionist, nurse, or other health care professional can direct you to the appropriate social worker. You also may call the Social Work Department directly.

We are here to help.

Dealing with an illness, crisis or other life challenge can be difficult. The Social Work Department is committed to the support of our patients and families so challenges can be met and managed more effectively. We are here to help and encourage you to call us. To contact the Social Work Department, please call 216-844-8965.

Make an Appointment

Schedule your appointment with a specialist at University Hospitals.
1-866-UH4-CARE (1-866-844-2273)

More Scheduling Options

Need to Refer a Patient?

Click here for Patient Referrals

Browse Services A-Z

Maps and Directions

Click here for directions