- How may I request a copy of my medical records?
Download, complete, sign and date the Authorization for Release of Medical Information (PDF) and return via fax or mail. Please note that unsigned requests will not be processed.
- Where are you located? What is your mailing address? What are your phone and fax numbers?
The Release of Information Section is located on the 1st floor of Lakeside in room 1119.
Health Information Services
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106-5023
Phone: (216) 844-3555
Fax: (216) 844-7493
- What are your hours of operation?
We are open 8:00 am to 4:30 pm EST, Monday through Friday.
- Is there a charge for copies?
Yes. The State of Ohio has established a fee schedule. You can see the fee schedule here. You will be contacted by mail and informed of the cost for the reproduction of the requested information. We do require prepayment before processing your request.
- Who may request medical records?
You may request copies of your own medical records, the medical records of a minor child, or the medical records of someone for whom you are the legal guardian or hold a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. Proof of legal guardianship or a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare must be provided. A spouse or child of a deceased patient can request the medical records of the deceased if he/she is the executor or administrator of the deceased patient’s estate. Probate Court documents naming the requestor as the executor or administrator must be provided. Where there is no estate or an estate will not be probated, Probate Court documents releasing the estate from probate and naming the requestor as the personal representative must be provided.
- When may I expect to receive my copy?
Because of the large number of requests we receive, it generally takes up to ten working days to fulfill your request after it has been received.
- Will you fax the copies to my home or office?
No. We cannot fax medical records due to confidentiality issues.
- How long do you keep medical records?
Adult medical records are kept for 22 years from the time of the last visit to University Hospitals.
- How may I request copies of records from my last doctor visit?
Contact your physician’s office for assistance. We do not keep private physician office medical records.
- I was treated in the Hanna House Skilled Nursing Unit. How do I obtain those records?
Please call Hanna House at 216-844-1490
- Can you explain the charges on my bill?
No. Please contact Hospital Billing at 216-844-8299 or visit the Pay My Bill page. by clicking here.
- May I obtain a copy of my X-ray films from you?
No. Please contact Radiology at 216-844-3061
- When will my child’s birth certificate be ready?
For information on obtaining a birth certificate please click here.