Volunteer Opportunities at University Hospitals
Most volunteers say that the personal fulfillment which comes from helping another person is their greatest reward. Other volunteers look forward to the new friendships and camaraderie they share with fellow volunteers and staff members. Many enjoy learning new skills and contributing to the community. Regardless of whether you are volunteering to gain new skills, meet new people or lend a helping hand, the volunteer program at University Hospitals Case Medical Center may have a volunteer position to meet your needs.
The following are some of the areas in which we place volunteers. If you do not see an opportunity that appeals to you, please indicate your special interest or talent on your application.
- UH Seidman Cancer Center Infusion Center: Not all patients are able to come for treatment with a caregiver or family member. Volunteers provide companionship for patients during chemotherapy, distribute activities and snacks, assist staff with organizing supplies.
- Book Cart: Hospital patients often feel isolated and bored, but if you can walk and push a cart, you can help to ease these feelings. Your smile and offer of reading materials, playing cards, crossword puzzles or word searches will make a difference to patients and families. Positions are available at UH Seidman Cancer Center and also in the adult areas.
- Pediatric Outpatient Clinic Activities: Our clinics see many children and families each day. Volunteers share stories, color, and perform other enjoyable activities with our school age patients enhancing their experience at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital.
- Pastoral Care: The Pastoral Care Department at UH Case Medical Center exists to help in the spiritual healing process of patients, visitors, and staff members thus enabling them to achieve health. Volunteer positions exist as Patient Visitors, Eucharistic Ministers and office support. Positions are available at UH Seidman Cancer Center and also in adult and pediatric areas.
- Child Life Activities: Do you enjoy reading, making art, and playing games with children? Are you interested in working with infants and children? Child Life Activities volunteers are specially trained to visit and interact with pediatric patients from birth through 18 in the activity centers and at patients’ bedsides. You will work with patients and families to help make their stay at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital more enjoyable by providing company and comfort to them.
- Patient and Family Advisory Councils: The Councils are composed of patients and caregivers who work with members of the hospital staff to provide valuable feedback and personal insights on the patient care experience. Councils exist at UH Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital, UH Seidman Cancer Center and the Medical/Surgical Areas. For more information contact the Volunteer Services Department at 216-844-1504.
- Clerical/Reception: Are you looking to keep active with your clerical skills? Make a difference in an office environment by assisting staff with greeting visitors and working with phones, filing, copying and computers. This role provides volunteers the opportunity to gain experience in a professional environment or supportive waiting area and learn new skills. Opportunities exist in various offices, reception desks and patient care waiting areas throughout the hospital.
- Reach Out and Read: Imagine a world where all children are read to and have the chance to enjoy books on a regular basis. For many of our patients, being read to is a rare treat. Volunteers are needed to select books and share stories with infants and children in the waiting area of our outpatient women and children’s clinic. In doing so, you can enable young children to gain an appreciation for books and excel at reading, a vital skill for success in life.
- Rainbow Family Resource Center: Pediatric patients and families often need the support of both information and entertainment while hospitalized. Volunteers at the Rainbow Family Resource Center have the opportunity to assist and empower patients and families in seeking health-related information through the internet, books, and educational videos. You will also enable patients and families to more easily pass their time here by assisting them in borrowing recreational books and videos from the center. Basic computer interest and skills are necessary.
- Wheelchair Recovery: Recover wheelchairs from various hospital locations and assist in expediting our patients’ trip home by providing a wheelchair when needed.
- Gift Shop: Volunteers assist in the Atrium Shop and UH Seidman Cancer Center gift shop with customer service and support duties. Greeters welcome customers as they enter the shop and assist them with their selections. The volunteers provide a warm and welcoming environment in the shop while assisting paid staff with their duties in the floral and gift areas. The shops are a function of the Auxiliary of UH Case Medical Center. Proceeds from the shop support programs for patients and their families.
- Guest Services: Are you positive, energetic, outgoing and enjoy providing directions to visitors? The Guest Services volunteers provide an unforgettable first impression as our guests enter the hospital. Guest Services volunteers escort visitors to various hospital locations and provide general hospital information. Positions are available at UH Seidman Cancer Center and also in adult and pediatric areas.
- Ronald McDonald Family Room: An extension of the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland, the Family Room provides an area of retreat within the hospital where families and friends can spend quiet time together, engage in private conversations or reflection, or enjoy coffee and a snack while still being close to the child's room. Families are greeted by volunteers who act as hosts of the room and provide a warm, friendly and supportive atmosphere. Volunteers keep the room tidy, restock snacks and beverages, maintain statistical records and enforce policies. Visit the Ronald McDonald web site at www.rmhcleveland.org for further information and to obtain an application.
- Center for Emergency Medicine (CEM): Our CEM is one of the busiest in the region. The CEM volunteer assists with the patients nonmedical needs and provides emotional support to visitors and families with the goal of lessening patient stress, and increasing customer satisfaction and department efficiency. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to handle stressful situations. Requires a four-hour commitment weekly for a minimum of four months. Previous experience in a clinical environment is desired. Positions are available in adult and pediatric areas. This is not an observational experience.
- Caring Hands: Caring Hands volunteers provide patients with a gentle, relaxing hand massage in order to enhance relaxation and relieve anxiety. Volunteers receive specialized training to perform hand massages. The hand massage volunteer service benefits patients by making them as comfortable as possible while they embark on their healing journey.
- PRIDE Preventing Incident Delirium in the Elderly: Volunteers help to create a friendly hospital environment by providing sympathetic support, encouragement and companionship to older patients and their families. Volunteers provide assistance in the four volunteer intervention programs: Daily Visitor Program; Feeding Assistance Program; Early Mobilization Program; and Therapeutic Activities Program. The program provides a unique hands-on patient care experience where volunteers are directly providing interventions. The program also provides the opportunity to work with Geriatricians.
- Veterans Visiting Veterans: Have you served in the military? Would you like to visit with inpatients that are also Veterans? Join the Veterans Visiting Veterans program and spend time with other military Veterans during their stays at UH, delivering Veterans benefits information, keepsakes and expression of thanks. Weekdays, flexible schedule.